The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel filling issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDiemidio

City/Region: St Augustine
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2024
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Willow
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Fuel filling issues. Reply with quote

I have a 2024 C Dory 23 Venture. Does anyone have this problem? It takes me forever to fill my fuel tanks. 15 gallons took me 15 minutes. Port side is the worse. Hoses are not kinked. Is this normal?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your fuel vents plugged?
Do you have check valves in the fuel lines?
Have you checked for obstructions in the fill lines?
Does the pump dispense fast enough? Sometimes the automatic cutoff in the pump can malfunction leading to pretty low flow.

My 22 fills fine until you get the tank nearly full, then it can fountain if you fill too fast.
Jim from New York

City/Region: Kings Park
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: MarTika
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2018 venture model also. I have a slow fill problem also it is quite a problem when you pull into Marina and hold everybody up was such a slow fill, and potential fuel spills into the water. If it’s a new boat, maybe the factory should address this for you. I have no clue what to do to fix it. You can purchase a fuel baffle which allows any fuel burps to stay within the baffle that’s what I use with a rag around the fill nozzle to prevent any fuel spill not perfect by any means. There were a lot of posts about this look up slow fuel up. I haven’t corrected it because I really don’t know what to do. I suspect it has a problem with the fuel vapor recovery aluminum box inside battery compartment I love the boat. It has a lot of unique features. That’s my only gripe if anybody heard of the reason and Repair to get rid of this annoying problem I’m sure everybody would want to know. Good luck and keep us updated Jim.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our 2018 23 Venture, both port and starboard re-fueling have also been slow since the boat was new. I usually tell the fuel attendant to slow the rate of delivery on the pump otherwise fuel will burp out of the fill opening and get all over the boat. I bought a fuel fill kit to keep the fuel where it belongs, inside the tank! Spendy but it really does work. https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Way-Fuel-Fill-Kit/dp/B074W9135J
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do it because of the sharp radial like bend in the fill hose going to the tank. There is nothing wrong with the hoses, but the fuel slows down at the bend (a lot) and then fuel overflows as you noted. All the advice you have been given is fine, and if any of those things are found, it will worsen the issue you are having. To make things worse, I've seen boats with an "S" in the hose where the fuel pools in the bottom of the "S" on a vertical axis and they really fill up painfully slow. A lot of us just live with it....
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22, I had to replace the fuel flii hoses because they gave way in the 1st bend. The factory installation used a fill hoses that were too long and needed to be excessively bent to fit (S shape). When I replaced them I used shorter hoses with less bending. Didn't really notice a change in the filling rate though. I have one of those Clean-way things which works ok, but you still have to be careful when the tank gets full. It cost a lot less then $99 when I bought it.

On my 22, the fill cap retaining chain does interfere with the sealing of the Clean-way to the filler.
RDiemidio

City/Region: St Augustine
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2024
Vessel Name: Willow
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump works fine. The fuel line to the tank is only 1 1/2 feet long. No kinks in the line. Unless there is a faulty check valve from the manufacturer. I think the tank does not vent fast enough.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDiemidio wrote:
The pump works fine. The fuel line to the tank is only 1 1/2 feet long. No kinks in the line. Unless there is a faulty check valve from the manufacturer. I think the tank does not vent fast enough.

No argument it is possible. Some fuel systems do have a one way valve and yes they do fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: