Captain Starbucks
Member
- Joined
- Oct 19, 2011
- Messages
- 123
- Reaction score
- 9
- C Dory Year
- 2009
- C Dory Model
- 255 Tomcat
- Vessel Name
- DOUBLE BARREL
Has anyone replaced their factory fuel sending units? I have installed a Victron Cerbo GX that does a great job of reading the fuel levels, but I have come to realize the fuel sending units hit their lowest level about 10 gallons before the fuel actually runs out.
I pumped both tanks to empty yesterday (leveled boat, pumped fuel out of outlets to engines, when it ran dry, I called that "empty"). What i found was that the sending units stay at their lowest level and I still pumped about 10 gallons per side. This leads me to believe that the sending units installed in my tank aren't optimized for the tank height. The tanks are perfect rectangles. Shouldn't be any weirdness on the geometry side of readings.
I always strive to run my boat as light as possible but I've been forced to carry about an extra 40-60 gallons of fuel I don't want to carry. That's about 250-400 pounds of dead weight.
Thank you,
Rob in Tacoma, Washington.
I pumped both tanks to empty yesterday (leveled boat, pumped fuel out of outlets to engines, when it ran dry, I called that "empty"). What i found was that the sending units stay at their lowest level and I still pumped about 10 gallons per side. This leads me to believe that the sending units installed in my tank aren't optimized for the tank height. The tanks are perfect rectangles. Shouldn't be any weirdness on the geometry side of readings.
I always strive to run my boat as light as possible but I've been forced to carry about an extra 40-60 gallons of fuel I don't want to carry. That's about 250-400 pounds of dead weight.
Thank you,
Rob in Tacoma, Washington.