Insurance and repowering over max horsepower

john8lyons

New member
Joined
Feb 17, 2022
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
C Dory Year
2008
C Dory Model
255 Tomcat
Vessel Name
Learning Curve
The original 2008 ETECs on my Tomcat are showing their age despite my best efforts and I’d planned to repower this fall. The inline 4 Suzukis (200, 175 and 150) seem like a good match for the boat. I’d prefer to go with the 175 or 200 given that they are the same weight as the 150 and also have variable valve timing that doesn’t come on the 150. However, the manufacturer data tag for the 2008 Tomcat sets max horsepower at 300 and I’m having trouble finding an insurance company that will allow the new motors to exceed the recommended limit. Anyone know a regional (PNW/Alaska) or national company that will insure boats in cases like this?
 
What does the new Tomcat sticker say? On the 22’s I read of people here getting new official stickers from C-Dory with the higher limits presently used. Maybe you could do the same.
 
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that route with C-Dory and got quick responses from Greg Little, to his credit. However, they wouldn't provide me a new tag for a boat they didn't manufacture. He said they took over the C-Dory name and molds in 2009, and my boat is a 2008. Greg said that Fluid Marine was making the earlier versions of the Tomcat. I have a request in with them about a new data tag, but since they were only making the 300HP version I'm not sure whether that will go anywhere.
 
Some times those original tags come off and get lost. Just saying you can have a new Data Tag made at any trophy engraving shop. The boats certified for 300 Hp were no different than ones tagged for 400 Hp. The Suzuki 150, 175 and 200 are all on the same block, and weight is almost identical.
 
Back
Top